ATTEND ANY OF OUR VIRTUAL FINANCIAL AID PRESENTATIONS THROUGHOUT THE FALL!
Borrowing for Higher Education: Presented by PHEAA
Register for a webinar link 9/15, 9/16, 9/22, 9/23, 9/29 and 10/1
Following up on the highly successful "Covering The Gap" webinar series, PHEAA now offers a series of one-hour webinars focused more specifically on the borrowing aspect of higher education finance. A significant percentage of students find that grants, scholarships, work-study, savings, PA529, and other funding sources are insufficient to meet the total cost of attending postsecondary school. In an ideal situation, borrowing would not be necessary; yet, considering the lifelong value of a higher education, borrowing can be a smart investment.
Linda Pacewicz and Dan Wray of PHEAA's PA Forward Private Student Loan Program will provide an in-depth look at federal and private education loans, to include calculating the amount to borrow, understanding loan terms and conditions, navigating the application process, keeping an eye on debt levels while attending college, and effectively managing debt after graduation. The discussion will also provide a glimpse into the world of credit decisions. Please register below to join us for one or more of these informative presentations. Active participation is encouraged via Q&A!
MONDAY OCTOBER 19th AT 6:30PM
On Monday, October 19th, from 6:30 - 8:00 pm, CBSD will host a VIRTUAL Financial Aid Presentation. Our host will be Ms. Fran McKeown from the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA). Topics will include higher education costs, they the types of Financial Aid available, and how to apply for Financial Aid (using FAFSA, or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions at the end of the presentation.
Register for this Virtual Financial Aid Session by joining the link that will be shared as the event gets closer. Once registered, you will receive an invitation/link to the live event.
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 28, 2020 AT 6:30PM
Fran. McKeown of PHEAA will also host a FAFSA WORKSHOP on Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 6:30 PM. This workshop will assist families with general questions about completing the FAFSA. More info and *URL LINK* to follow!
Please refer to the Guidance Financial Aid Page for even more resources and information!
HELPFUL INFO FROM FINANCIAL AID NIGHT 2019
Last fall (2019), Bonnie Behm, Director of Financial Assistance at Villanova University, hosted the District's Financial Aid Night presentation. She addressed topics including types of financial aid, the application process (using the FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid), timelines and deadlines, and tips for comparing offers of aid from various schools. Feel free to review her presentation to get a great overview of the Financial Aid process, lingo and application process, especially if this is your first time through! 2019-2020 Financial Aid Night Presentation 10.2.19
ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL AID RESOURCES
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is FREEand can be accessed after October 1st of a student's SENIOR YEAR in high school. Go to https://fafsa.ed.gov/to begin the process.
- Need aStep-by-Step tutorialof how to complete each FAFSA section? Watch these videos to help ease the confusion!
- Want to learn more about Pennsylvania State Grants and other financial aid? Please visit the PHEAAwebsite and watch this video which provides an overview of the financial aid application process, PA State Grants, scholarships, student loan programs, and completing the FAFSA.
- US Dept of Education Financial Aid Toolkit has countless resources to help you understand the financial aid process, how to complete the FAFSA and CSS Profile, create an FSA ID, learn about state grants, and watch demos about filling out online forms.
- FAFSA4casterhelp you understand your options for paying for college. It will provide some basic information andestimate your eligibility for federal student aid.
- Some schools require the CSS Profilefor additional Financial Aid Information.
- Looking for a One-Stop Shop for all your financial aid questions? Visit BIGFUTUREfor videos, worksheets, and tons of valuable resources!
- Financial Aid Calculators can help families get an idea of the cost of their student debt early on or make plans for repayment using these calculators. Additionally, these tools also help demonstrate key concepts when it comes to loans in general, such as how interest accrues, how loans differ from one another, how refinancing affects loan repayment, etc. Click here to access Free Financial Aid Calculators.