In order to create a positive school culture and ensure a learning community, Holicong communicates and enforces a dress code policy for all students. The policy below is meant to reinforce the expectations of our community, and has been created and agreed upon by faculty, administration, and parents. At Holicong we do want our students to be able to express their individuality, but this cannot be a deterrent to the learning environment. The reality is that at times student dress can be a delicate topic between students and staff, and that is why it is imperative that we clearly communicate these standards and expectations to both students and parents in advance so everyone can plan appropriately for the coming school year.
What are some essential considerations relating to student dress?
- The overwhelming numbers of Holicong students are always dressed appropriately for school.
- Holicong is fortunate to be a climate-controlled building (including air conditioning) for comfort.
- Students are asked to show consideration of others, display respect and responsibility, and help maintain the most productive academic atmosphere possible.
Does Holicong have a dress code?
Holicong has dress standards which follow the guidelines of Central Bucks School District Policy #221: Dress and Grooming
Students’ clothing may not disrupt the educational program of the school(s) or constitute a health or safety hazard. The principal will determine whether disruption occurs. Disciplinary consequences may also be issued. Hats and hoods are not allowed to be worn in school during the school day.
Where are other examples of clothing that are not appropriate for the school setting?
- Attire with messages or pictures which show drug or alcohol symbols/products, cigarette or nicotine advertisements, wording that includes sexual innuendo, violence or hate towards individuals or groups, or other messages deemed inappropriate and do not abide by our Colonial Core values.
- Unsafe adornments could create potential safety issues.
Where are the standards of student dress applicable?
- Acceptable standards for dress, grooming and modesty are adhered to on school grounds, on school buses, at school dances and other school sponsored activities.
What will occur if a student is not dressed appropriately?
- Our staff always uses discretion and addresses any dress code issues subtly with a student as to not "call out" a student in front of peers. As noted above, this can often be a delicate subject and we want to respect students and address issues privately.
- If a student is not in compliance on multiple occasions, he/she will be referred to administration and parents/guardians will be included in the discussion.
PARENT SUPPORT: We hope this information is helpful in discussions with your child, particularly as the selection begins on back-to-school attire and clothing. Teaching our students the importance of dressing appropriately and also monitoring appropriate dress will be a partnership between the Holicong community of students, parents, and staff. Your understanding, assistance and support are most appreciated. Thank you!