Holicong Middle School
Cell Phone/Personal Electronic Communication Device Policy
It is our goal at Holicong Middle School to maintain an environment where students focus on learning with minimal distraction. While we do see the benefit of technology at school when used for instructional purposes, cell phones and personal electronic communication devices (PECD) can interfere with the instructional practice of teachers and are a distraction to students trying to learn. With the implementation of the 1:1 laptop initiative, all students will have direct access to district issued technology for classroom instruction and therefore should not have cell phones/PECD’s at any time during the school day. Therefore, we have developed a policy that allows for students to use cell phones and PECD’s solely for instructional purposes and at the discretion of the individual teacher in his/her classroom setting.
POLICY: The use of cell phones/PECD’s is prohibited on Holicong premises at any point during the school day unless specifically permitted with the consent of their teacher/staff member. This is consistent with CBSD Policy 829 – Personal Electronic Communication Devices (PECD).
PURPOSE OF POLICY:
- Maintain the integrity of the academic environment.
- Keep personal property, not necessary for academic endeavors, protected and secure from loss, theft, and damage.
- Respect personal privacy of students and staff in the school.
- Ensure students do not connect to websites/resources that are prohibited and blocked by Central Bucks School District.
ENFORCEMENT OF POLICY: It can be a challenge for faculty and staff to enforce this policy. A majority of our students own these devices and bring them to school. There are instances when a text could be sent, picture taken, or some other non-instructional use of the phone during class or other times during the day. In order to minimize the potential to use the devices for non-instructional purposes and avoid conflicts with staff, we have set these explicit expectations:
- Students are required to “power off” cell phones/PECD’s and when arriving to school.
- Students are directed to leave cell phones/PECD’s in their lockers during the school day.
- Students should not have a cell phone/PECD in class at any time.
CONSEQUENCES: The following progressive consequences are in place for students that violate this policy:
- First Infraction: 1 hour after school administrative detention and parent notification.
- Second Infraction: 2 hour after school administrative detention and parent notification.
- Third Infraction: Phone will be confiscated by administration and parent must pick up the phone/electronic device at Holicong. Student assigned Saturday administrative detention.
PARENT SUPPORT: With the increased use of these devices as a communication tool, we do need the support of our parents to ensure students adhere to this policy. Please help us by:
- Refrain from sending text messages or calling students on their cell phone/PECD during the instructional day. If there is an emergency and you need to reach your child immediately, contact the front office at 267-893-2700.
- Ensuring students come to the nurse and/or front office if they need to contact you during the school day. We have seen an increase in students’ texting parents to come to school to pick them up because they do not feel well. Our school policy is that if students do not feel well, they are to come to the nurse’s office and see our licensed nurse. The nurse will contact parents if the student is ill to determine next steps.
We appreciate the support of our students and parents as we endeavor to make our technology initiatives successful and focused on learning.