Safety Rules for Central Bucks School Buses
Note: the school board adopted a policy regarding the drop-off procedure of kindergarten and first grade students. Please click here for more information
Please review the following bus rules with your children:
Three General Rules
- Always follow the directions of the bus driver
- Obey all safety rules
- Be courteous to all passengers and respect what belongs to them.
- Help the buses run on time. Be at your stop at least five minutes early.
- Be considerate of private property. Stay off the lawns of homes near the bus stop.
- Do not leave food wrappings and other trash at a bus stop.
- Stay off the road while waiting for your bus.
- Do not approach the bus while it is still moving.
- Do not push or crowd when getting on the bus.
- If you are late, never run after a moving bus. Turn around and go home.
- Parents are responsible for children at bus stops.
- Students who must cross the street must wait for a signal from the bus driver.
- Walk at least 10 feet out from the front bumper of the school bus and you will stay outside the danger zone surrounding the school bus.
- Students must always remain where the driver can see them.
- Students must always cross in front of the school bus.
Riding the Bus
- Keep your hands and head inside the bus at all times.
- Help keep the bus clean. Don’t throw trash on the floor or out the windows. Loud talking, laughing, and yelling can be distracting to the driver. Speak at a moderate level and do not cause disturbances on the bus.
- Live animals, glass containers, firearms, or any items that could be considered a weapon (i.e. toy guns, knives, razors, etc.), explosives, or any other dangerous or objectionable item may not be taken on the bus. Balls and other sports equipment are not allowed on the bus unless they fit in the student’s school bag(s) and stay there at all times. All bags must fit completely under the seat or upon the student's lap allowing another student(s) to sit on the same seat.
- Keep objects out of the aisle. Gym bags, instruments, school projects, etc., that do not fit on your lap or underneath your seat, will not be allowed on the bus.
- Find a seat as soon as you board the bus. Do not leave your seat while the bus is moving. Face the front of the bus at all times and stay seated until it stops.
- Share your seat with others. Three small students may fit in a seat as long as a student is not hanging out into the aisle.
- Absolute quiet is required when the bus approaches a railroad crossing so the driver can listen for an approaching train.
- No smoking, lighted matches, or open flames are permitted on the bus.
- You, the student, will have to pay for the repair of any damage you may cause to the bus.
- No eating or drinking on the bus.
- Always cross the street 10 feet in front of the bus where the driver can see you.
- Stay 10 feet away from the side of the bus, unless you are approaching the entrance door.
- Drivers are allowed to drop off passengers only at the students’ regularly scheduled bus stops.
- Kindergarten, first grade and special needs students must be met at the the bus stop by a parent, guardian, responsible adult or responsible older sibling, or other designated person. The name of the non-family designee needs to be provided to the bus driver or the Transportation Office. If no appropriate party is available, the driver will contact the school and transportation office and the child will be returned to school, per school board policy 810.
Riding the bus is a privilege. Transportation is a privilege, not a right and accordingly the bus rules of conduct and behavior must be followed by all students. Failure to follow the rules can create an unsafe environment on or around the bus, which increases the risk of injury or accident for all the other riders and drivers. These rules help insure safe bus transportation for students and bus drivers. Students who violate these safety regulations may be excluded from riding the bus. Parents are responsible for transporting their child to and from school if the child has been excluded from bus transportation.
As always, we look forward to serving the students and families of the Central Bucks School District during the coming year, and we appreciate your support.