Student Dress Expectations at UnamiThe Unami Middle School Dress Standards take two important factors into consideration: 1) Unami is a learning community. Our goals are to provide a learning environment that maximizes the ability to learn and grow. 2) Students express individuality through clothing. Our dress standards uphold a healthy balance of these two factors. It is the mutual responsibility of the school and the home to teach and monitor the values of dressing appropriately in different environments. It is important that we clearly communicate our expectations so that we can work as a team to ensure the standards of dress are met and we are maintaining the balance of the factors described above. Thank you for your support and understanding with these expectations.
What are some examples of clothing that is not appropriate for school ?
- Hats of any type (prohibited to be worn during the school day and/or within the school buiding)
- Clothing with messages or pictures that show drug or alcohol symbols/products, cigarette ads, sexual innuendo, violence or hate
- Clothing which reveals undergarments
- Tops which expose the bare midriffs (standing, sitting, bending)
- Tops which expose the maximum of the tops of shoulders (eg. muscle shirts, tube tops, backless shirts)
- Shorts which are cut excessively high
- Unsafe adornment (ex: spiked bracelets and spiked necklaces)
- Skirts/dresses that rise above the mid-thigh
- Skin tight clothing or clothing which is transparent
- Jackets/Coats (need to be placed in lockers during the school day)
Where are the standards of student dress applicable ?Acceptable standards of dress, grooming and modesty are adhered to on school grounds, on school buses, at school dances and other school sponsored activities on or off Unami school grounds.
What will occur if a student is not dressed appropriately ?The student will be directed to comply by using gym apparel, items in the student’s locker, or a clean gym uniform borrowed from school. As needed, the parent will be notified. If the student cannot find an apporpriate change, the parent will be called to bring appropriate clothing to school. At events outisde the regular school day (eg. dances), the parent maybe called to escort the child home.We hope the information about school dress guidelines is helpful in discussion with your child. Your understanding, assistance and support are appreciated.