Our School History
In 1952, the Plumstead School District took another step toward an improved instructional program by becoming a member of the Central Bucks High School Jointure. This meant that the students in the 7th and 8th grades would attend the Junior High School, thus allowing several schools to close. Modern transportation facilities made it possible to reorganize the schools permitting two grades in each building. Because of population increases, it became necessary to recondition and reopen Southwestern school in 1954, Valley Park in 1956, and a second room in Plumsteadville in 1959.
In 1959, to further improve the instructional program, Plumstead, Buckingham, and Doylestown Township organized the Central Bucks Joint Elementary School Board. Many services such as administration and health programs were provided through this jointure. As the population of the school district continued to expand it became necessary to consider plans for a central school. Therefore plans were initiated that culminated in what became known as Plumstead Elementary School.
In September of 1960, Plumstead Elementary opened its doors to children. The school consisted of 14 classrooms, the All-Purpose Room, and a health suite. The school was staffed by fifteeen faculty members. In 1966, the school was renamed Gayman Elementary after Harvey and George C. Gayman, two local gentleman who had given a great deal to public education in the state of Pennsylvania.
With continued growth over the next forty years, Gayman has seen many physical changes. In 1965, a second classroom wing was added along with the library, and in 1989, eight additional classrooms were added at the far end of the school. The most recent additions include four additional classrooms, a computer lab, a gymnasium and new administrative offices. Though Gayman has continued to grow over the decades, it remains an excellent place for children to learn and adults to work.