- Class Calendar
- My Blog- Make-Mentor-Collaborate
- Central Bucks School District Smart Racetrack Robotics Competition (Coming Soon)
- Arduino- The Brain of a Robot
- Raspberry Pi Robotics
- Engineering and Architecture 1,2,3
- Materials and Engineering III
- Materials and Engineering I and II
- Inventor and AutoCAD
- CB West HS
- My Blog- Make-Mentor-Collaborate
Make School Cool!!
Posted by JONATHAN TAYLOR on 1/30/2018 5:00:00 AM
Make School Cool!
Hello- I am Jon Taylor and I teach the Engineering and Architecture classes.
Top 10 Items-
1. It's an elective. We will begin with Engineering (Makerspace Format) and end with Architecture.
2. If it's not fun, tell me and we can work out a better experience.
3. Safety First. It's a hands on course- yes, you will need to move around and use your hands and brain at the same time.
4. 9 weeks= 9 choices of projects in 9 different areas of engineering technologies/themes: Arduino, Pi, Makerbot, CAD, Laser, Flight, Hand Tool, Tinker, Mentor- 9 projects times 5 points= 45 project points Project grades will be shown by copying and pasting the rubric from this blog in an email to me.
5. 9 weeks= 9 choices of Procedural Knowledge Opportunities- 9 times 5 points= 45 Procedural Knowledge points: Procedural Knowledge will be shown by copying and pasting the rubric from this blog in an email to me. Grades are negotiable. Sometimes we will need to include your parents with grade decisions.
6. Classroom Procedures: First 10 minutes of each block- Use this time to transition to our class- play a quick school appropriate game on the computer, catch up with friends, get materials ready for the class period, confer with the me on a project and etc. The main time that follows (70 minutes) will be used for classroom lecture and project work. If you finish early, begin a new Makerspace Area with my assistance. The 70 minutes must be dedicated to Engineering class. The last 10 minutes of class will be dedicated to clean-up and reflection on your progress.
7. This class is set up like a Maker Space. Take lots of pictures and videos of your progress with your phone. These will be used for your emails each week. Yes, you will document failures and achievements. Our makerspace will have computers, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, MakerBots, Laser cutter, hand tools, CAD, and some power tools.
8. To make progress on projects- Move from what you already know in order to learn new things so you can understand what you are trying to build in an engineering project. Do not give up on something because it is hard. I will not support that!!
9. You need to be a part of our supportive environment- Negativity affects creativity. Some projects are individual, others are collaborative.
10. There is some lecture in this course- I stress the one on one conversations because our projects can evolve into intense problem solving opportunities. Frustration is a normal part of the engineering process. Thankfully, we have the internet with you tube if we are having trouble with a particular engineering problem. USE YOUR RESOURCES! Click here for Our Website-
I am eagerly anticipating working with you to open up your potential to think and act like an engineer! Please check out my twitter feed for more picts and videos of our classes- https://twitter.com/escapesSTEEAM
Grades are important to you. See me if you don't understand the weekly procedural grade- which is a grade earned for going through the motions of challenging yourself to learn new material.
I need you to take what you already know, apply it to learn something new to understand the new material. This is important when making a project.
Your ability to try will earn you a perfect score each week. This rubric accounts for HALF of your marking period grade.
Each Friday, please copy and paste this rubric AND include a brief explanation about your project progress AND e-mail it to me at email@example.com.
Procedures Grade Rubric- .25- Minimal Effort- .5- Ok Effort- 1.0 Superb Effort
|1.Completion of Weekly Portfolio Entry .25 .50 1.0|
|2.Safe Conduct in Lab .25 .50 1.0|
|3.Behavior Appropriate and Consistent with Proper Procedures .25 .50 1.0|
|4.Attendance .25 .50 1.0|
|5.Community Contribution .25 .50 1.0|
Total- 5 points
Next is the Project Grade Rubric. Please copy and paste this into an e-mail to me when you complete a project. This rubric accounts for the other HALF of your grade for the marking period.
Project Grade Rubric- .25- Minimal Effort- .5- Ok Effort- 1.0 Superb Effort
Quality of Project- 1
Steps to build Explanation- 1
Quality of E-mail explanation- 1
Academic/Engineering Area Listed on document- 1
Total- 5 points
- September 2019
- August 2019
- February 2019
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- January 2018
- November 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014