Program for Enrichment
The Program for Enrichment is designed to expand, extend, and enhance learning opportunities for gifted students in order to help them reach their potential. The goal of PEN is for students to view learning as a lifelong process which enriches the individual and benefits society. In Central Bucks, academically gifted students at the elementary level will participate in activities and educational opportunities which foster their creative expression, advance their abilities to think analytically and critically, and stimulate them to excel as self-directed learners. Students participating in PEN will be encouraged to interact/collaborate effectively and to develop healthy self-concepts related to their giftedness.
The Central Bucks Program for Enrichment (PEN) will provide students identified as gifted (in accordance with Chapter 16 of the PDE) with differentiated and rigorous learning experiences that build upon the students’ academic strengths. This program will address the unique needs, abilities, and interests of the gifted student, including both the cognitive and affective domains, within a student-centered learning environment.
The Central Bucks School District PEN Program will:
- Enrich the regular education curriculum and accelerate instruction, when appropriate, to meet students’ needs
- Recognize the social and emotional needs of gifted learners and promote a positive attitude toward self and others
- Develop the skills and task commitment necessary for effective independent learning
- Promote critical thinking and problem-solving, creative production, collaboration, and communication skills across disciplines
- Offer opportunities for gifted students to learn alongside like-minded peers