• Family Survey Results

    Results of the survey distributed on June 12 to gather feedback from families to inform the district's planning efforts for the coming school year were presented to the Board of School Directors during their June 23, 2020 meeting. The survey was distributed via email, posted on the district's website, and shared on social media. Families were invited to take the survey for each individual student and responses were largely evenly distributed among schools at all levels.

    Asked about their overall feeling about their child returning to school in the fall, 49% reported that they would be comfortable doing so based on whatever safeguards the district has in place. Selecting their top three priorities for a return to in-person instruction, 59%, 48%, and 47% respectively selected training for staff in CDC protocols for mitigating the spread of COVID-19, regular, supervised hand-washing, and daily temperature screenings for students and staff.

    Those who responded were more divided on the topic of masking, with 64% reporting comfort with their child masking during the school day and 36% indicating that they were not comfortable with masking. When open-ended responses were reviewed, many families made mention of and outlined their concerns on the topic of masking, both for and against.

    The district explained in the survey that CBSD is looking forward to returning to school in a traditional in-person format, but if that isn’t possible, asked parents and guardians to indicate which of two delivery models they would most support; 84% chose a hybrid model with some combination of in-person and online learning, while the remaining 16% selected a 100% online model. Since both of these models include some form of online instruction, survey-takers were asked whether or not childcare would present a hardship, and 55% indicated that it would not, 25% shared that while it would be difficult, they would manage, and 20% said yes – childcare would be a issue for their family. Along the same lines, families were also asked about internet access, and 3% indicated that they do not have access to internet service that is adequate to support online learning.

    Families were asked to share their plans for use of district transportation, with the knowledge that social distancing would be employed on buses; 51% indicated that they would use busing for their children, 42% said they would not, and 7% reported that their child will walk to school. The final question posed the idea of a potential two-week earlier start to the school year, to potentially offset a school closure like the one ordered in March of 2020, and slightly more than half were opposed. Later open-ended feedback that touched on the topic of opposing an earlier start was focused largely on the lack of air conditioning in some schools, as well as any potential impact this might have on faculty and family plans, as well as student athletics and activities.

    Of those who responded, more than 4,000 survey takers elected to share open ended feedback as they concluded the survey. Families took time to share additional details, focused primarily on areas they want the district to place emphasis on in planning. Many responders shared messages of thanks and support for teachers, principals, and others, for both the efforts undertaken during the past few months, and for the work that is being done now to plan for a safe opening of schools. All open-ended feedback was shared in its entirety with district administration.

    This written feedback was focused primarily in four main areas:

    • Concerns about online and distance learning programs.
    • Thoughts on the topic of masking school, both students and staff.
    • The district's plans to continue to mitigate the spread of the virus, and enforce protocols and recommendations from healthcare professionals, state and local authorities.
    • Feedback on the impact of the school closure, especially as it pertains to social and emotional wellness, and the desire to return to in-person instruction.

    The complete presentation is available for review on the district's website. Additional opportunities for feedback are forthcoming as the district continues its planning. Watch the presentation and hear details on the virtual school board meeting page.

Last Modified on July 2, 2020