No new work this week! Teachers are holding conferences and preparing for Phase Two of Distance Learning.
1. Please answer Monday's prompt on Monday ( https://padlet.com/kcarroll32/pyh6fne2dhdz) I'm really excited to see what you write! If you don't know off hand, look up the first sentences online. $10 sixth grade dollars for every first line you share!
2. Continue to work on last week's assignments. That includes math, science, social studies, writing, and reading. Please use the past days' links to make sure you have everything completed.
Optional Activities for This Week:
1. Every day at 10:30, Kwame Alexander is reading parts of his books LIVE on IG! Check him out at https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Pcc1AHsTW/?igshid=1e0q1hrqe0wna
2. Write a letter to someone and mail it. Let me know if you want my address :)
3. Start a journal and write in it each day for 20 minutes. Think about how you'll be able to share the crazy Covid-19 story with your grandchildren some day!
4. Keep reading your independent reading book. Email me who you think should play the main character in the made-up movie version!
5. Take someone in your house on a nature walk. Make up a name for something in nature, and write a fictional story about how it came to be.
6. Research a famous Philadelphia landmark. Some ideas: Independence Hall, Quaker Meeting House, First Bank, Bartram Gardens, or the Merchant's Exchange. If you want to read about something both neat and gross, check out the practice of leeching by Dr. Benjamin Rush!
7. Do the activities listed on your specials' teachers websites.
8. Check out the main Kutz Distance Learning webpage too- https://www.cbsd.org/domain/3915
9. Listen to Ann Braden read the first chapter of The Benefits of Being an Octopus! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY6bptV4w8o&feature=youtu.be
10. Take a studio tour and learn how illustrators design book covers with Kelly McMorris at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFDCVEjbNfU&feature=youtu.be
11. Take a drawing lesson from James Burke - learn how to draw the squirrel from the Bird and Squirrel series! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyOS8t9TQ28&feature=youtu.be
12. Use author Paula's Chase's ideas to write about your own character traits at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_m5n7P53dE&feature=youtu.be
13. Take a poetry lesson from Kathryn Apel - writing a didactic cinquain! https://katswhiskers.wordpress.com/whisker-of-poetry/didactic-cinquain/
14. Check out the NASA website for an amazing collection of stories, games, videos, and at home activities for kids. https://www.nasa.gov/stem
15. See "If the Doctor Did It!" in a STEM mystery at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kpG3nLECqQ&feature=youtu.be