Students will continue the routine of their weekly self-generative writing.
Students will access Scholastic Scope Magazine online with a code provided on Canvas.
Students will download the document "Should Balloons be Banned?" Scavenger Hunt.
Students will refer to the article as they complete the Scavenger Hunt. Students will complete the Scavenger Hunt by typing directly into the text boxes in the document.
Students will upload the document into Canvas when they have completed the Scavenger Hunt.
Students will use their answers to respond to a Canvas fill-in-the-blank quiz.
After completing the quiz, students will be able to see potential answers to the Scavenger Hunt questions and will be able to compare those answers to their own.
For a closure, students will determine which author had the stronger argument and provide a reason for their opinion.
Estimated Time: 30 Minutes
Students will download this week's journal document if they have not already done so and will continue to keep a journal of this unprecedented time in their lives. They should write for 8 minutes each day about their experiences.
Students will analyze an article for its argumentative elements. Students will use their answers to these questions to take a quiz. Students will receive immediate feedback with potential answers to the Scavenger Hunt questions they can use to compare to their own responses.
Students will decide which author had the stronger argument after evaluating each argument.
3 Quick Things to Know:
- Writers observe the world around them and their experience living in it to generate their own writing.
- Reading closely and deeply for understanding is a life skill.
- It is important to understand the multiple sides of an issue in order to make an informed opinion.
- Watch the START HERE Screencast.
- Complete 8 minutes of journal writing.
- Access the Scholastic Scope article.
- Download the Scavenger Hunt.
- Complete the Scavenger Hunt
- Upload the Scavenger Hunt.
- Use the Scavenger Hunt answers on the quiz.
- Compare your answers to the correct responses.
- Complete the closure activity.
GO TO YOUR CLASS'S CANVAS PAGE: Begin with START HERE and work your way through the entire module through the LAST Closure activity.