All Grades – Half Court Basketball Games – Around the World
Overview: For any student with access to a basketball net, outside or inside! This game can be played by one person!
Modification - If you do not have a basketball net, make one using a box or a bucket. You can place it on a table, dresser, or hang from a door! Any small sized ball will work!
10-15 minutes to 1 hour
Explanation of Each Game:
Around the World
- Select 5 to 7 spots where the ball must be shot from. These spots should form a “U” from one side of the basket to the other side. These spots can be marked with anything! Chalk, cones, shoes, rocks etc.
- The first player shoots from the first spot. If s/he makes the basket, s/he advances and shoots from the next spot. The same player continues around the markers until a basket is missed.
- After this player misses, s/he rebounds the ball, passes it to the next player in line, and goes to the end of the line.
- On each player's second, third, etc. turn, that player returns to the last place s/he attempted a basket and continues as before from that spot.
- A player is finished when s/he has successfully made baskets all the way around the court. This player may begin again from the first spot.
- If playing alone, see how many total shots it takes you to get all the way around the world. Play a second time and try to get around the world in less total shots than the first time you played.
Quick things to know:
Be mindful of how you play the game with players of varying skill level. Make modifications if needed, for example, older players take a step backwards from each spot before shooting. The objective is to have fun without making the game too challenging for any of the players
Reflection: Can you send me a quick video or pic of you and the family playing? I would love to see it! Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org