Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 (Day 6)
Math: Steam Project: Geometric Shapes and Graphing
Estimated Time for Activities: Approximately 30 minutes
Things to know:
- If you do not have the supplied worksheets or access to any of the worksheets, it is fine to create your own based off the supplied worksheets.
- More specific directions are provided on each sheet/activity that goes along with these lessons. I will send these sheets through email.
Overview: You will use your knowledge of shapes to make a self-portrait; Graphing
Explanation: Think about the different geometric shapes you have learned during calendar. Using what you know, you will create flat shapes with different lines, curves, and sides to create a self-portrait and other pictures.
- Sit with mom, dad, grandparent or guardian, or your brother or sister to review flat geometric shapes such as square, rectangle, triangle, circle, etc.
- With an adult, research about Paul Klee and his self-portraits and other creations to get an ideas to create your work.
- Observe real life geometric shapes around you.
- Go on a shape hunt around your house. Look for geometric shapes and lines that make up certain creations in your living room, kitchen, backyard, etc.
- Refer to the STEAM project sent through email to follow the directions when creating your self-portrait and other creations.
Extra: Only do this activity if you want more practice.
- Using the graph provided through email. Graph the shapes you used in your self-portrait and creations. Share with a family member to have them find and count the shapes you used.
Writing- Day 6
Overview- How To Writing – Write the last steps for “How to Brush Your Teeth” and a Closing/wrap it up statement.
Estimated Time- 25 minutes
Explanation of Activity/Assignment- Students will write the “Then” and “Finally” steps for How to Brush Your Teeth, with details. Students will write a “Closing or Wrap it Up” for the ending. Use graphic organizer page 10 & 11. Use adjectives, sound words, 5 senses. (If not enough room to write, use back of the page.)
Quick things to know- Use your 5 senses in your writing. Tell how it looks, smells, tastes, sounds, and feels when brushing your teeth.
Tasks- Write the last steps of “How to Brush Your Teeth” and a Closing statement.
Activity pack- My Writing Packet, page 10 and 11.
We will add to this activity on Day 7.
Website Links to help:
Writing Steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjfIwMpQT8
Writing a closing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=531imejjVkE
Overview: Read and Respond
Students will be able to read a story of their choice from home or from EPIC and complete the Character/ Setting Reading Response sheet included in the Grab Bag
Estimated Time: 30-45 minutes
Explanation of Activity/ Assignment
- Choose a book from Epic or from your own home library. Complete the character/setting handout from the grab bag (blue folder). Draw a character and the setting neatly. Write about both.
Quick things to know- No tech is needed if you choose a book from your home library. Student will use complete sentences with correct capitalization and ending punctuation marks. Use the text to help with spelling.
Tasks: See character/setting response paper
Links/Activities: If students read other books on their own, please record the titles, chapters or pages read and the date it was completed on.
Overview: Read and discuss the article, “What do Fossils Teach Us About Organisms That Lived Long Ago?” on pages 3 and 4 in the science and social studies Learning Packet
Estimated Time: 20 minutes
Explanation of Activity/ Assignment:
- Students should read and discuss the article and answer the questions on page 4
Quick things to know:
Parents can read it with their child. Please write answers in complete sentences. Borrow words from the question to help answer in complete sentences.
- Read page 3 and complete questions on page 4