Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 (Day 5)
Math: Game Day!
Estimated Time for Activities: Approximately 30 minutes
Things to know:
- If you do not have the supplied worksheets or access to any of the worksheets, it is fine to create your own based off the supplied worksheets.
- More specific directions are provided on each sheet/activity that goes along with these lessons. I will send these sheets through email.
Overview: Math Game Day: Review of Addition and Subtraction Concepts
Explanation: You will choose from several different math games to practice adding within 20, adding and subtracting within 20 and 100, and subtracting within 20. Play at least 2 of the 4 games today.
- Play the games provided through email to practice addition and subtractions concepts.
Writing- Day 5
Overview- How To Writing – Write a Lead, Materials, and 2 steps for directions.
Estimated Time- 25 minutes
Explanation of Activity/Assignment- Students will write a Lead, the materials for How to Brush Your Teeth, and the first 2 steps with details. Use graphic organizer page 9 & 10, “How To” Writing. (If not enough room to write lead and materials- use back of the page.) Students introduce their writing with an interesting hook and the materials they need. Students write what they do “First” with details (use adjectives, sound words, 5 senses) and “Next” for the second step.
Quick things to know- Use your 5 senses in your writing. Tell how it looks, smells, tastes, sounds, and feels when brushing your teeth.
Words: toothpaste, toothbrush, bristles, foamy, rinse, water, swish, squirt, minty, color words …
Leads can start with a question, sound words, or a statement.
Ex: Shhh, shhh goes the water. Squirt goes the toothpaste. Want the whitest, most sparkling clean teeth ever? …
Ex: Brushing your teeth is an important job we all need to do. To have the freshest and cleanest teeth your dentist would be proud of, just follow my directions of how to brush your teeth.
Tasks- Write a Lead for “How to Brush Your Teeth” on page 9. Include materials you need.
On page 9 write your First step with details. On page 10 write your Second step with details.
Activity pack- My Writing Packet, page 9 and 10.
We will add to this activity on Day 6.
Overview: Read and learn about Sound.
Estimated Time: 30-45 minutes
Explanation of Activity/ Assignment
- Read and discuss the books on Physical Science: Sound and Music
Quick things to know- This Scholastic site is free.
- Go to https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome/grades-1-2.html
- Follow the DAY 3 activities: Physical Science- Sound and Music
- Listen to the story, Zin, Zin, Zin, A Violin by Lloyd Moss
- Read the book, All About Sound by Lisa Trumbauer
- Watch the video, “What’s That Sound”
- Ask someone in your household to make different “sounds”. Close your eyes! Try to identify the sound.
- Draw and Write Activity. Follow the steps and see if you can identify what is making a sound. Draw a picture of it.
Spelling: Words Their Way Books Sort 5
Overview: Students will be able to review spelling patterns and vowel sound concepts.
Estimated Time: 15 -30 minutes -cutting words out, finding them around the house, and gluing them.
Explanation of Activity/Assignment: Word Sort Scavenger Hunt! Cut out the words for Sort 5. Have a family member hide the words around the house for the 2nd grader to find. When they find the words they glue them onto the Sort 5 page. Remember you can tear these pages out to make it easier.
- Student will practice spelling words by writing words (if applicable).
- Students will sort and glue words as they find them around the house.
Quick things to know: These are review skills. Therefore, students should be familiar with the vowel sounds and patterns.
- Use Sort 5 Words Their Way words.
- Find and Glue the Sort 5 Words. 😊