1st Grade Reading: Reading and Writing Menu: Column 1
Overview: Play a game with my word wall words
Estimated Time: Approximately 20 minutes
Explanation: You will play tic-tac-toe, headbands, memory, or any other fun game!
Things to Know: Sit with a parent, guardian, sibling, or adult to play a game with. You can have multiple different players, so include the whole family!
- Use your word wall words to use the list for your game
- Student should lead the game in reading the words and writing them within the game
- Have fun!
1st Grade Reading: Reading A-Z: Grab Bag
Overview: Read independent level book
Estimated Time: 15-20 minutes
Explanation: You will choose one of your independent leveled books that is in your grab bag, and then complete one activity that goes with your reading.
Things to Know: Sit with a parent, guardian, sibling, or adult to practice reading fluently and accurately. Directions should be read allowed to student to ensure they know the expectation of the activity.
- Pick 1 book from grab bag
- After book has been chosen, pick 1 activity to go along with your reading
- Read book silently to self, pointing to every word
- If adult or sibling is available read to them, showing them your best reading skills (pointing to all words, turning pages, stretching words by sounds, and fluently reading the text)
- Then complete the activity that you have chosen
***Note: Students should read the book each time before completing the activity for that day. Read the same book each day until all activities have been complete. Then move on to another book. Skipping around from book to book before completing all activities can confuse students and cause them to mix up events, characters, and other story elements.
1st Grade Math: Chapter 4 Activity 4: Grab Bag
Overview: Number patterns
Estimated Time: Approximately 15 minutes
Explanation: You will write the missing numbers in each number pattern
Things to Know: Sit with a parent, guardian, sibling, or adult to make sure you understand the directions. Once you know the directions try to do a few problems independently.
- From your grab bag complete pages 1-2
- Have students check-in after all pages are complete
- After students have completed pages 1-2, go over any problems or pattern that are incorrect
Number Pattern Bingo
- Use the board below to play number pattern bingo
- I have provided 2 boards so that another person can play as well
- Ask questions like, "What number comes before 21?" or "What number is 2 more/2 less/1 more/1 less?"
- Have fun with this activity and let your student show what they know!