1st Grade Reading: Reading and Writing Menu: Column 1
Overview: Writing my word wall words in ABC order
Estimated Time: Approximately 20 minutes
Explanation: You will write your word wall words in ABC order on a piece of paper. Feel free to use different colors to make it more engaging for your student!
Things to Know: Sit with a parent, guardian, sibling, or adult to check for neatness handwriting and correct spelling with all word wall words.
- Get a piece of paper and write word wall words using crayons, colored pencils, or markers
- Review all words after they have been written
- Check for correct spelling and pronunciation
Reading Tool: EPIC!
- Epic! app (can be accessed during the day)
- If you are using a web browser, type in https://www.getepic.com/students
- If you are using a phone or tablet:
- Click – Have an account? Sign in
- Click Students and Educators
- Enter class code under student log-in
- Class code: dxj4114
1st Grade Reading: Reading A-Z: Grab Bag
Overview: Read independent level book
Estimated Time: 15-20 minutes
Explanation: You will choose one of your independent leveled books that is in your grab bag, and then complete one activity that goes with your reading.
Things to Know: Sit with a parent, guardian, sibling, or adult to practice reading fluently and accurately. Directions should be read allowed to student to ensure they know the expectation of the activity.
- Pick 1 book from grab bag
- After book has been chosen, pick 1 activity to go along with your reading
- Read book silently to self, pointing to every word
- If adult or sibling is available read to them, showing them your best reading skills (pointing to all words, turning pages, stretching words by sounds, and fluently reading the text)
- Then complete the activity that you have chosen
***Note: Students should read the book each time before completing the activity for that day. Read the same book each day until all activities have been complete. Then move on to another book. Skipping around from book to book before completing all activities can confuse students and cause them to mix up events, characters, and other story elements.
1st Grade Math: Chapter 4 Activity 2: Grab Bag
Overview: Counting and Writing Numbers to 20
Estimated Time: Approximately 30 minutes
Explanation: You will identify the tens and ones to match place value to numbers
Things to Know: Sit with a parent, guardian, sibling, or adult to make tens and ones in matching place value blocks to the correct addition sentence.
- From your grab bag complete pages 1-4
- Have students check-in after each page or every 2 pages for understanding with an adult
- After students have complete pages 1-4, practice addition and subtraction facts through Pet Bingo!
- No password is needed!
- Just download the app from the app store and start practicing your math facts!