READING STRATEGIESThis year in third grade the students will learn Seven Reading / Thinking Strategies to help them better understand what they are reading. Below is a list of the strategies that blend reading and thinking:
- Metacognition -Thoughtful readers think about their thinking while they're reading.
- Using Schema -Thoughtful readers make connection, and retrieve and activate prior knowledge.
- Inferring -Thoughtful readers draw conclusions, make predictions, and form interpretations.
- Questioning -Thoughtful readers generate questions before, during, and after reading.
- Determining Importance -Thoughtful readers sift out relevant and useful information.
- Visualizing -Thoughtful readers create mental images supported by the five senses.
- Synthesizing -Thoughtful readers continually change their thinking in response to text.