Unit 3 The Industrial Revolution & Imperialism: A New Age- (1800-1914)
Unit 3 Materials PowerPoints Handouts Integrated Core Assessment Industrial Revolution Industrial Revolution Handout Core Assessment 1 & 2 Industrialization Handout Economic Reforms Imperialism British Imperialism
Students Will be Able to:
1. The motives of competition and profit often prompt people and groups to expand into new areas of opportunity.
2. Changes in technology and exchange during the 18th and 19th centuries led to the social and economic changes around the world that are still relevant today.
3. Technology, transportation and communication enabled European nations to become the dominant world powers in the 19th century.
4. Centers of global economic and political power shift over time.
5. Technology and industrial advancement can alter existing social and economic systems.
1. How can nationalism be a unifying and a divisive force?
How does a state gain or lose power over others?
2. How should resources and wealth be distributed?
3. Why do political revolutions occur?
Was imperialism a necessity for industrialized nations?
How has technology and exchange transformed societies and the human experience?
How did imperialism mutually affect the colonizer and the colonized?
What circumstances allow societies to become dominant?
What responsibility do people with power have to those with less power? Did the industrial revolution bring true progress to the world?
1. Analyze the motives behind European imperialism.
2. Describe the technological advantages Europeans possessed that enabled them to control large areas and populations.
3. Analyze the impact imperialism had on the colonizer and the colonized both then and now.
4. Use maps to illustrate changing political boundaries in Africa.
5. Compare and contrast different methods of imperialism across the globe.
7. Analyze how the growth of capitalism and urbanization in the Industrial Revolution affected the environment and lives of people.
8. Explain the social, economic, and political causes and effects of the industrial revolution in Europe.