Get ready for some fun during this out...of...this...world unit! Are you ready to learn more about how the seasons and day/nighttime occur? Have you ever wondered what makes Mars so unique? Are you curious to know why the moon appears to look different each night? Well...then pack your bags and fasten your seat belts as we go through this fantastic voyage together!By the end of this unit, the students will be able to...
Solar System SitesStudy Jam a day on EarthDay and Night science demoWhat Causes Seasons? science demo
- understand the sun's predictable daily pattern can be explained by the rotation of the Earth
- explain how the Earth's orbit around the sun causes the changes in the length of day and night
- understand that the observable shape of the moon changes from day to day in a predictable pattern
- understand that the moon's cycle takes about a month, the time it takes for the moon to orbit the Earth
- understand the sun is a star like all other stars, the sun is the center of our solar system, and Earth is one of nine planets that orbit it
- identify the eight planets that orbit around our sun and explain each planet's unique characteristics that distinguish it from other planets
Moon Phases A fun site to learn about the moon's phases and Moon Game
Helpful Classroom Links
Phases of the Moon - Find out what the moon looked like on your birthday!