Central Bucks Aquatics offers two age-group swim teams and a developmental team for community swimmers beginning at age seven and through 12th grade.* All of the teams fall under the umbrella of the Central Bucks Swim Team (CBST). One of the teams, CBST-SAL, is part of the Suburban Aquatic League (known as the SAL) which is a dual meet league comprised of over 20 teams in the Pennsylvania suburbs of Philadelphia. Members of this swim team generally have practice available five weeknights, October through mid-February, at either CB South High School or CB East High School, depending on the night of the week. Dual meets, meets in which two teams compete against each other, are held on Saturdays. There are typically seven dual meets each season throughout the months of November, December, and January. CBST-SAL swimmers also have access to many invitational meets (meets with several teams during which swimmers compete on an individual, rather than team, basis) which are usually held on Saturdays or Sundays.
The developmental team is part of CBST-SAL and its members practice with CBST-SAL, having three practices available per week. Developmental team swimmers may participate in meets when the coaches determinte that they are ready.
The other swim team is CBST-USAS, an age group USA Swimming team for swimmers ages nine and over. USA Swimming is the governing body of swimming in the United States. CBST-USAS is part of the Middle Atlantic Local Swimming Committee, known as MA Swimming. MA Swimming encompasses teams in Eastern and Central Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey, and Delaware. CBST-USAS practice groups have practice available six days a week and practices are generally at either CB South High School or CB East High School, depending on the time of the year and the night of the week. CBST-USAS attends many local and travel meets as a team. USA Swimming meets are generally not dual meets with teams competing against each other to “win” the meet but rather, are meets in which individual swimmers and relay teams compete for personal time improvement.
Each Central Bucks School District high school has a swim team available to the students in 9th through 12th grades districted to Central Bucks. Information about these teams should be obtained by the swimmers from their high school coach or school office as they are not administered through the community school.
Determining Which Team Best Suits Your Swimmer(Please also see note below about the pre-team clinic.):
Team swimming is appropriate for swimmers ages seven and above* who:
The developmental team is appropriate for swimmers who are not yet ready for CBST-SAL but:
- can swim all four competitive strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly)
- have the endurance and attention span to practice for an hour or more (depending on age)
- are able and willing to listen to and respond to coaches’ instructions and suggestions in a team format – they must have the attention span and disposition to work cooperatively in a team practice setting (fairly high swimmer to coach ratio, independent from parent who will be off pool deck and out of locker rooms at all times)
- want to be on a swim team - swim team participation involves hard work and dedication so must be primarily swimmer (not parent) driven
- know freestyle and backstroke well and have some knowledge (may be very limited depending on age) of breaststroke and butterfly
- have the endurance and attention span to practice for roughly an hour
- are able and willing to listen to and respond to coaches' instructions and suggestions in a team format - they must have the attention span and disposition to work cooperatively in a team practice setting (fairly high swimmer to coach ratio, independent from parent who will be off pool deck and out of locker rooms at all times)
- want to participate in the program - swim team practice involves hard work and dedication so must be primarily swimmer (not parent) driven
*If your six-year-old swimmer meets the criteria above and would like to be on a swim team please contact Jennifer Steinberg at firstname.lastname@example.org to explore the possibility of participating in the pre-team clinic or developmental team/team evaluation to determine team readiness.
If you are new to our teams, please consider the pre-team clinic. While swimmers are not required to participate in the pre-team clinic to participate with the team or developmental team, we often find (especially with the younger swimmers) that being out of the water for two months (from when their summer club team ends until our evaluations for CBST-SAL) causes them to not be evaluated as ready for the winter team. See pre-team clinic information here.If you are interested in a swimming program but your child is not team-ready based on this information please refer to the Swim Lessons and/or Clinics sections of this website for other options.
How Do I Know If My Child Should Be On CBST-SAL or CBST-USAS?
Team-ready swimmers who have not previously participated on a competitive winter swim team are generally best suited to start with our SAL team as it provides an excellent introduction to the sport of competitive swimming.
Swimmers ages 9 and over with previous competitive winter swimming experience who are interested in more challenging practices and competitions and are able to swim all four competitive strokes legally are good candidates for joining CBST-USAS. While the SAL is highly competitive, the most serious and dedicated swimmers often choose to swim on our USAS team. Many of these swimmers also choose to participate in SAL meets through CBST-SAL.
High School swimmers often compete on their high school team as well as with CBST-USAS and/or CBST-SAL.For questions please see General CB Aquatics FAQ document available on the page linked here and follow the program links below.Click the appropriate team link below or in the menu to the left of this page.