There will be no new content posted this week for orchestra or music class. In the meantime, you are welcome to check out optional, additional resources or past lessons that are posted here and on Seesaw. I’m looking forward to connecting with you next week, starting on Tuesday, April 14th!
This is a detailed video about how to fully tune your instrument. Remember - when using the pegs, make extremely small adjustments and push the peg in slightly while you turn it! If you have any questions please let me know!
Here are some articles and videos that are full of useful practicing tips! Some of them say one specific instrument, but the information is the same for all of them! Feel free to look through these for some inspiration!
- Dallas Symphony Orchestra - Practice Tips https://www.mydso.com/dso-kids/activities/practice-tips
- National Association for Music Educators - Practice Rule of 10s https://nafme.org/maximize-your-practice-time-using-the-rule-of-10s/
- Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras - Practice Tips for Young Musicians https://cyso.org/news/practice-tips-for-young-musicians/
- Esther Hwang - 10 Practice Tips and Tricks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNj-J8g1azM
I will be adding to this page frequently - check back for new content!
Here are some fun games to help with reading music, practicing rhythms, and ear training! I will be updating this regularly so check back often! Have fun!!
The Music Interactive is a website with free app downloads for note reading and rhythm practice. My favorite games on this site include:
- Staff Wars
- Staff Wars 2 (listens to you play your instrument to start the game!)
- Rhythm Blocks
- Rhythmic Dictation
- Strings (which includes diagrams of your instruments and full interactive fingering charts!)
All other websites and apps include:
- https://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note You can choose your clef and how many notes you want to practice!
- https://www.notationtraining.com/ This one also has customizable clef!
- 8notes - https://www.8notes.com/school/theory/note_trainer.asp You can try multiple clefs at once on this game!
- Rhythm Cat - this is an app that is on all school devices and can be downloaded here: https://melodycats.com/rhythm-cat/
- http://musicteachersgames.com/ This website has a combination of all games - ear training, rhythms, and reading music!
- Ear Cat - this is an app in the same family as Rhythm Cat and can be downloaded here: https://melodycats.com/ear-cat/
- Theta Music - This website has so many listening games! https://trainer.thetamusic.com/en/content/music-training-games